For those who have not heard the story of the War Memorial Tablet, it was consecrated in 1921 at the Congregational Church in Hoddesdon and bears 12 names of members who gave their lives during the 1914-18 war. When the church was demolished in the mid 1960s it was salvaged and brought to be stored at 91 High Road, Broxbourne, which was being used by the congregation during the building of our new and very modern one. In October 1972, the Congregational and Presbyterian Churches joined together to form the United Reformed Church. Our current church was opened in 1968 but the tablet was not incorporated into it, there being no obvious position in such a modern building, to do so. However, the building of an extension to the chuch some years ago provided a suitable weatherproof position to re-install the tablet, Research has taken place in regard to the names on the tablet and we have limited information but are hoping that if it is possible we can find any living relatives who would like to see where their family members are remembered. We have in our congregation still, a family member of one soldier shown and that is Helen Kinight whose great uncle is one of those names. Alan Avery.
With many thanks to Alan Avery for his research and for organising the restoration of the tablet.
Alan and Helen are pictured here at the re-installation ceremony on Remembrance Sunday 10th November 2019.